The first major conference of its kind in the UK, Martial Arts Studies will be a pioneering international interdisciplinary conference featuring:
- Academic speakers from many disciplines from all over the world;
- Keynote speakers including:
- Professor Stephen Chan, OBE (SOAS),
- Professor Meaghan Morris (Sydney),
- Professor Douglas Farrer (Guam),
- Dr Ben Judkins (NY, the author of the ground-breaking ‘Kung Fu Tea’ martial arts studies blog).
The conference is organised by Dr Paul Bowman (author of multiple books on martial arts, film and culture), and features speakers from disciplines as diverse as cultural studies, philosophy, sociology, religious studies, film studies, anthropology, history, medicine, sports science, race, ethnicity, gender and sexuality studies, and more. As well as being academics, many of the speakers are also practicing martial artists. Confirmed speakers will come from the UK, Europe, Eastern Europe, East Asia, and North and South America.